According to a press release from the Coptic Orthodox Church Centre UK, the new Pope will be enthroned on November 18th. Here is the latest schedule of events:
- Church-wide fast: 22-24 October
- Papal Election: 29 October in Cairo
- Church-wide fast: 31 October – 2 November
- Altar ballot: 4 November (118th Pope announced)
- Enthronement: 18 November
The nominating committee announced that the papal election will take place on October 29, 2012. Three days fasting on 22, 23, and 24th of October was declared, the fasting will follow the Great Lent type of fasting.
The Final selection of the Pope will be done during a Holy Liturgy on November 4, 2012 and that also will be preceded by a similar fasting on Oct. 31st, Nov. 1st, and 2nd.
The expedited timeline of the upcoming events in the papal election process are as follows:
- Oct. 22-24 – A three-day fast for the upcoming Papal Election.
- Oct. 29 – Papal Election, participants include 2,411 Coptic voters across the world.
- Oct. 31-Nov.2 – A three-day fast for the upcoming Altar Lot.
- Nov. 4 – Liturgical service at the St. Mark’s Cathedral in which the Altar Ballot will take place and the new pope will be chosen.
- Nov. 18 – Enthronement Ceremony for the newly elected Pope
May God appoint for us a Pope, according to His choosing, to shepherd His people in purity and righteousness. Amen.
Video of Announcement
Facebook via @PeterSamaan @CopticWorld.org
“HG Bishop Paula, the official spokesperson of the Papal nominations committee has made the following announcements.
The election for the new Pope will begin on October 29th. There will be a strict fast on October 22, 23 and 24. The Altar Lot will be on November 4th with a strict fast preceding on October 31st, Nov 1, and Nov 2.
There will be a program on the Coptic and Christian channels to be aired tomorrow about the five Papal candidates.
There will also be Divine Liturgies in the coming days with sermons from each of the five Papal candidates. Tomorrow, the Divine Liturgy will be celebrated at the Cathedral of St Bishoy Monastery with HG Bishop Tawadrous giving the sermon.
On Friday, there will be a Divine Liturgy at St Mark Cathedral in Alexandria with Hegumen Seraphim El-Souriani delivering the sermon.
On Saturday, the will be a Divine Liturgy at the Monastery of the Virgin Mary with only the three monks participating.
On Sunday, the candidates will be at St Mary Church in Maadi for the Divine Liturgy.
On Monday at St Mark Church in Azbakiya there will be a Divine Liturgy with Fr Raphael Ava Mina delivering the sermon.
On Tuesday, there will be a Divine Liturgy at the Bishopric of Damanhour with HG Bishop Raphael delivering the sermon.
On Wednesday, there will be a Divine Liturgy at St Mina Monastery in Mariut with Hegumen Bakhomious El-Souriani delivering the sermon.”