At a press conference on Saturday (October 13, 2012) afternoon in Wadi El-Natroun, headed by Bishop Pakhomious, our Coptic Orthodox Church announced the short list of 5 candidates in the running to become the next pope to succeed The Late Pope Shenouda III.
Two of the candidates are bishops and three are monks. The candidates are:
- Heg. Fr. Bakhamious El-Souriani, Monk Priest from El Souryan Monastary
- H.G. Bishop Tawadros, General Auxiliary Bishop, Serves with H.E. Metropolitan Pakhomious in the Diocese of El Beheira
- H.G. Bishop Raphael, General Bishop, Serves with H.G. Bishop Moussa in the Downtown Cairo Churches
- Heg. Fr. Raphael Ava Mina, Monk Priest from St. Mina’s Monastery, Disciple to the Late Pope Cyril the Sixth
- Heg. Fr. Sarafim El-Souriani, Monk Priest from El Souryan Monastary
The timeline of the upcoming events in the papal election process are as follows:
- Nov. 19-21 – A three-day fast for the upcoming Papal Election.
- Nov. 24 – Papal Election, participants include 2,411 Coptic voters across the world.
- Nov. 26-28 – A three-day fast for the upcoming Altar Lot.
- Dec. 2 – Liturgical service at the St. Mark’s Cathedral in which the Altar Ballot will take place and the new pope will be chosen.
- TBD – Enthronement Ceremony for the newly elected Pope
May God appoint for us a Pope, according to His choosing, to shepherd His people in purity and righteousness. Amen.